Monday, July 26, 2010

Before and After

"Spring Greens"  The "AFTER" Painting
Here is a painting that I went back and repainted using a brighter approach.  I went back over the entire painting with warm yellows, oranges and pinks in the sunny areas, and I used cool greens, blues, and purples in the shadows.  Afterwards I went back in and added more of the local color.  I hope you will agree that the "after" painting is much more inviting than the "before" painting!

This is the "before" painting.  Everything you see painted here was done on location.  The "after" painting was done right on top of this painting in the studio.  I went back and used sketches and photographs from the day I was on site.

This is one of the photographs I used to go back and add the light and a few more details.


The joys of painting on location!! In one of the last blogs, I showed how the sailboat turned around as I was painting.  Here, I walked the entire, several acre garden center and picked this spot (which did not have the guys in red shirts at the time).  Then about 15 minutes into painting, these guys showed up to rearrange the plants!  Of the thousands of plants at this garden center, these were the ones that needed to be moved!  Great!

This is my painting/pastel friend Eleanor.  It's always more fun to go plein air painting with friends! 

No comments: